Community Colleges of Spokane (CCS) operates on a quarter system: summer, fall, winter and spring. Academic Calendars are available online.



Common course numbering makes course transfer easy between and among Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges. Common courses are those courses delivered by a number of community and technical colleges that have official college catalog descriptions similar enough to be accepted as equivalent at a receiving college for transfer purposes.

Common courses are identified by an "&" after the division designator on a course number (i.e. ENGL& 101).


Global/diversity classes are noted by a "^D" next to the course title or "Req Designation: Global/Diversity Designation." The study of diversity is intended to promote awareness of local and global differences, to identify shared values, to improve understanding of one’s own culture, and to encourage people to explore and respect differences.


Honors classes are noted by a "^H" next to the course title or "Course Topic: Honors."


Writing intensive classes are noted by a "-W" or "^W" next to the course title or "Course Topic: Writing Intensive." Fifty percent of the student’s grade is based on composition skills.


Courses numbered below 100 are not considered college level and are not designed for transfer.

Academic courses numbered 100-199 inclusive normally are taken by first-year students.

Courses numbered 200-299 inclusive normally are taken by second-year students.

Courses numbered 300-499 normally are taken by students enrolled in Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) programs.



Students can earn credit through work experience.

Cooperative education is an organized program of study and educational work experience available throughout the student's college career.

To enroll in cooperative education the student registers for supervised cooperative work experience and the related seminar in the department appropriate to his/her academic or occupational goals. An instructor/coordinator is assigned who interviews the student and assists in locating appropriate full- or part-time paid employment as needed. In the case of those already employed, the instructor/coordinator interviews the student to determine eligibility for cooperative education. Students also may receive cooperative education credit for some types of nonpaid job experience.

Three work options are available for earning credit:

  • The student works part-time and attends classes on a daily basis.
  • The student works full-time and attends classes part-time. This is of particular interest to evening students.
  • A student may leave the campus to work full-time for a quarter, then return to resume his/her studies. This option is desirable where work experience is located outside the service area of the community college.

A student must be registered for cooperative education work experience to receive credit.

The following courses may be offered in each academic discipline at the discretion of the vice president of learning. Specific requirements and limitations concerning courses are available from the appropriate campus instructional administrator.

Cooperative Education Seminar 266 (1-2 credits) and Cooperative Education Work Experience 267 (1-18 credits) or Cooperative Education Work Experience 288 (no seminar) (1-18 credits) can be used to meet graduation requirements for professional/technical programs with the approval of the appropriate dean.

Cooperative Education is available in many programs. For more information, call SCC, 509-533-7249 or SFCC, 509-533-3545.


The "quarter credit hour" represents one class hour per week for the entire quarter. Laboratory and activity courses usually meet an additional hour each week per credit hour.

Most academic courses carry a credit range of 1-5 credits. Some career and technical courses exceed 5 credits because of program requirements. Students planning to enroll for more than 21 credit hours must obtain permission from a counselor, the student services dean over enrollment services, the registrar or a designee. If the cumulative overload credit hours are taken through CCS institutions, permission is required.

To make normal progress toward graduation in liberal arts, a student must earn a minimum of 45 credits a year in appropriate college-level courses. In career and technical programs, the student must satisfactorily complete the hourly credit requirements of the program.

Student credit hour enrollment categories are shown below: (View the Tuition and Fee Schedule online.)

Full-time12 or more credits
Three-quarter-time9-11 credits
Half-time6-8 credits
Less than half-time1-5 credits


Community Colleges of Spokane follows the statewide policy for transfer of credits as endorsed by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges. Credits from other accredited institutions in degree, diploma and certificate programs may be transferred upon approval. For more information on transfer credit and degrees, refer to the Academic Programs section of this catalog.


The appeal order for a student who feels that he or she has received an unfair grade is as follows:

  • Instructor of the course
  • Department chair
  • Division dean
  • Chief academic officer


Students should request grade changes from the instructor prior to the end of the next quarter.


Under extraordinary circumstances, and in applying due diligence, the chief academic officer will make a good faith effort to arrive at an appropriate grade.


Grade/transcript information will be released to students within seven days after the end of each quarter via the college Internet:

Grades/transcripts may be withheld if the student has a financial obligation to the college, which may include loans, library fines or delinquent fees.


Students must petition for graduation to have their credits officially evaluated for the requirements of their respective degrees and/or certificates. Graduation ceremonies are held in June. Students who completed their degree and/or certificate requirements in fall or winter quarter during the current academic year are encouraged to return to participate in these activities. Students who will finish their degree and/or certificate requirements during the spring or summer quarter may participate in the June commencement. (Refer to the Degree and Certificate Requirements.) Participation in the commencement ceremony does not ensure completion of a degree and/or certificate.


Students who achieve the following grade point averages (GPA), as calculated at the end of the last graded quarter prior to the graduation ceremony, or at the end of their last quarter of enrollment in credit classes, whichever comes first, will be designated by wearing honor cords when they participate in commencement.

  • A GPA of 3.5 and above in completion of career and technical degrees/certificates
  • A GPA of 3.5 and above in completion of an associate in arts degree


Students eligible for the President's Honor Roll or the Vice President's Honor Roll must meet the following minimum criteria:

  1. Be a full-time student who has earned 12 or more quarter decimal grade credits as computed by the end of the quarter grading cycle.
  2. Achieve a 3.5 or above for the President's Honor Roll.
  3. Achieve a 3.0 - 3.49 for the Vice President's Honor Roll.

Pass credits are not computed in the quarterly or cumulative grade point average, therefore do not count as completed credits toward the honor roll.

The honor roll program that automatically enters the honor roll status on the transcript will be run only once, after the quarterly grading cycle.

Exception: If the instructor has made an error in grading and the student should be on the honor roll, staff will manually enter the appropriate honor roll status onto the transcript.

Need more information?
Phone: 509-434-5162