Programs of Study

Students have access to a wide variety of educational programs at SCC, SFCC, and the off-campus center. A student may choose to complete the first two years of four-year degree programs, select among career and technical program offerings, or upgrade skills in preparation for work or college.

In order to give students an idea of some of the possibilities open to them, a number of suggested programs of study are provided on the following pages. The programs outlined are intended to provide general information. Students should seek detailed information from a counselor, adviser, the campus Counseling Center or Transfer Center.

Students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution after completing the first two years at SCC, SFCC, or the off-campus centers, are strongly advised to consult with the community college counselor or academic adviser as well as the four-year institution they plan to attend. Requirements may vary according to the program and transfer institution.

More detailed information about the following can be found on subsequent catalog pages.



Community Colleges of Spokane, partnering with American Honors (AH), offers high-achieving students rigorous, interactive online courses that lead to transfer opportunities through its network of top-tier four-year university partners. American Honors classes are taught by SCC and SFCC faculty dedicated to promoting scholastic excellence. A variety of AH classes are offered each term.

For more information, contact SCC, (509) 533-7038 or SFCC, (509) 533-3524.


CCS Destination Eastern is a joint admissions program for academically eligible students who want to earn the first two years of a four-year degree at SCC, SFCC or an off-campus education center, then transfer to Eastern Washington University (EWU) to complete their bachelor’s degree. Students enrolled in this program receive specialized joint counseling and advising, quarterly transcript evaluation and registration as an incoming junior at EWU upon completion of the AA-DTA degree. There are admissions requirements, and space in this program is limited to 100 students.

For more information, contact a counselor at SCC or SFCC, or e-mail


Community Colleges of Spokane has transfer articulation agreements that provide a "value-added" component to a traditional transfer program by allowing additional transfer credits, optional instructional delivery, preferred admission, etc. View current transfer articulation agreements online.


Community Colleges of Spokane participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) reduced-tuition program for students who are residents of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) participating states. The CCS WUE rate is considerably lower than many state WUE rates, and does not have restrictions on transfer students. Residents of WICHE states can gain affordable access to two- and four-year college programs outside of their home state; while at the same time, allowing colleges and universities to avoid costly duplication of programs and facilities. WUE participating states include Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming and the US Pacific territories and freely associated states. For additional information about WUE participating colleges and their programs, visit

For information about WUE at CCS, visit the webpage at



Students who plan to receive a two-year degree or a one-year certificate must file a Graduation Application with the graduation evaluator. Students should apply for a degree when they have completed 50% of the degree requirements.

Filing a Graduation Application provides the student with the opportunity to review and check his or her degree or certificate requirements. It allows the student an opportunity to plan or change his/her course schedule to ensure completion of all requirements. It also ensures that all degrees/certificates earned will be correctly posted to the student’s transcript.

Degrees/certificates will not be awarded if the student has not fulfilled all financial obligations to the college.


Residence credits are SCC or SFCC credits earned at the college granting the degree or certificate. Residence credit is not associated with where the student lives or resides. Prior Learning credit awards do not count toward the residence credit requirement.

The CCS residence credit requirement for the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) degree or the Associate in Science-Transfer (AS-T) degree is: At least 30 credits must be earned from Spokane Community College or Spokane Falls Community College with at least 15 credits earned at the college awarding the degree.

The CCS residence credit requirement for all other degrees or certificates is: At least one-third (33%) of the credits must be earned from the college awarding the degree or certificate. Courses must have been earned within the last four years and must be specific to the program of study as determined by the department. If the student demonstrates satisfactory competence in the program of study, the department may petition the appropriate academic administrator to waive program specific requirements.


A student is eligible to graduate either (1) by completing the degree requirements in effect at the time of initial enrollment within four academic calendar years, or (2) by completing the requirements in effect at the beginning of the last continuous (summer quarter excepted) enrollment, or (3) by completing the most recent requirements in effect during the quarter of graduation.

A candidate for a degree may include courses newly approved to meet degree requirements even though the course approval comes after the credit has been earned.

In instances where changes in professional degrees and certificates make the above guidelines inappropriate, the respective division administrator, working with the individual student, shall determine which degree requirements to follow.


The list of courses in Washington 45 does not replace the Direct Transfer Agreement, Associate in Science Tracks I and II or any Major Related Program agreement, nor will it guarantee admission to a four-year institution.

A student who completes courses selected from within the general education categories listed below at a public community, technical, four-year college or university in Washington State will be able to transfer and apply a maximum of 45 quarter credits toward general education requirement(s) at any other public and most private higher education institutions in the state.1

For transfer purposes, a student must have a minimum grade of C or better (2.0 or above) in each course completed from this list.

Students who transfer Washington 45 courses must still meet a receiving institution’s admission requirements and eventually satisfy all their general education requirements and their degree requirements in major, minor and professional programs.

"First Year Transfer List" of general education courses:

  • Communications (5 credits) - ENGL& 101, ENGL& 102
  • Quantitative and Symbolic Reasoning (5 credits) - MATH& 107, MATH& 148 or MATH& 151
  • Humanities (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines2) - PHIL& 101, MUSC& 105, DRMA& 101, ENGL& 111, or HUM& 101
    For colleges that use History as a Humanities: HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, HIST& 148
  • Social Science (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines) - PSYC& 100, SOC& 101, POLS& 101, POLS& 202
    For colleges that use History as a Social Science: HIST& 116, HIST& 117, HIST& 118, HIST& 146, HIST& 147, HIST& 148
  • Natural Sciences (10 credits in two different subject areas or disciplines) - BIOL& 100, BIOL& 160 with lab, ASTR& 100, ASTR& 101 with lab, CHEM& 105, CHEM& 110 with lab, CHEM& 121 with lab, CHEM& 161, CHEM& 162, ENVS& 100, ENVS& 101, PHYS& 121, GEOL& 101 with lab
  • Additional 5 credits in a different discipline can be taken from any category listed above.

NOTE: Although these courses are listed under categories, the actual course may satisfy a different general education category at a receiving institution.

1 Many private non-profit colleges and universities have distinct general education requirements. Students should check with institution(s) they plan to attend regarding application of transfer credits that will meet general education requirements.

2 Disciplines are sometimes called subject or subject matter areas and designated by a prefix (i.e. PHIL for Philosophy and POLS for Political Science).

Need more information?
Phone: 509-434-5162